Wednesday 27 September 2017

What I'm Reading This Fall + Life Update


Earlier this year, I made the decision to step away from freelance writing and enter the world of book blogging. The transition has been fun but hard at the same time. Feeling like the new kid at school is not something I want to relive, but I often feel that way whenever I make a tweet, post on Instagram or attend a bookish event.

Luckily for me, the book community is nothing short of friendly, creative and passionate. I think I have found my people, to say the least. I started an online course in publishing this month and whenever I log on, I feel this little burst of happiness. Like I have found a small corner of the world where it is okay to love the things I love (books!) and it is more than okay to gush over them. It is so awesome to be able to talk with others about marketing YA books and not feel like a total nerd. But I'm also learning there's nothing wrong with that.

My blog is still chugging along and I've been very lucky enough to attend events and receive ARCs from publishers. This has had a huge and very positive influence on my reading habits and my TBR. Even though I'm a little behind in my reading goal for 2017, I'm reading way more than I ever have before.

With that said, my fall reading list is compiled mostly of ARCs. I've already posted my review of They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera here, but expect more reviews of the following books to come over the next few weeks!


Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu 
I joked on Twitter yesterday that I check my library account at least five times a day to see if Moxie has come in yet--and it's true! This is probably one of my most anticipated reads of 2017. It's about a girl who starts a zine inspired by the Riot Grrls movement after she's had enough dealing with all the sexism at her conservative Texas high school. I needed this book as a teen, but I also needed this book like yesterday! I'm hoping the library pulls through soon.

I just finished this read yesterday and...I have complicated feelings. I'm probably going to mull this one over for a few days before writing a review. I need to read something very happy after experiencing this one! 

This book was sent to me by Algonquin Young Readers and it sounds magical and breathtaking. It's a western YA romance that takes place in the desert with some magical elements. I can't wait to read it because it's not up my usual alley, so it will be a good change of scenery for me.

This is actually a play that was sent to me from Jessica at Playwrights Canada Press. I'm really looking forward to reading this play because it deals with homophobia, bullying and mental health in a high school setting. 

I just have a feeling this book is going to rip me to shreds and I am here for it. 

I learned about this book at the HarperCollins Canada Frenzy event earlier this month and I was instantly hooked. It's about a girl who takes action against the way dragons are treated in her world. I was so happy when I received an ARC of this book in my goody bag!

I'm hoping to read more than just these books in the fall, but for now these are the ones I absolutely have to read. 

What do you plan on reading this season?

Find me in a galaxy far, far away:
Instagram: @myliterarylenses
Twitter: @literarylenses
Pinterest: /myliterarylenses
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig